nice url did ur mom pick it out for u
when the two characters you ship more than anything stand next to each other in official art
Writing is weird.
One minute you are telling a story.
The next minute you are researching the average amount of snowfall Edinburgh gets.
or how to kill someone with a piece of barbed wire and a tomato
Or how much force it takes to dent a human skull with a can of Pepsi.
what the hell are you guys writing?
why is it that all the most popular posts on tumblr
are written like this
with no capitals
and no punctuation
i just really want there to be a popular and grammatically correct post on tumblr
I think the majority of Tumblr’s dialect (is there a word for a written dialect? Hardly anyone speaks Tumblr.) comes from influence within the tag system.
My theory is that the lack of capitalization is stylized, ironic laziness (same reason as the increasingly popular use of abbreviations such as idek and ikr, and particles like desu), whereas the punctuation stems from the tag system, where commas split up tags. So, “this is like, so totally cool” would be tagged “this is like” “so totally cool.”
With commas struck from the tumblr blogger’s arsenal, they rely on run-on sentences and other means to show emphasis. One such means, spacing, is another quirk influenced by the tags. If you repeat a tag, it will only show once, which is why you get “really r e a l l y weird things like this.”
Also common on Tumblr are people who show their enthusiasm through their text by pretending their haNDS ARE FRKEAKIGN OUT AN D THEY CANT TPYE OMFGGGG. This adaptation is actually pretty cool, I think, as it serves to communicate tone across a very toneless medium.
Did you hear that noise? That was the sound of my desk breaking. My linguistics boner just snapped it in half.
- Nine: Tags everything as “fantastic”, advises his followers to stay awake by eating bananas (good source of potassium), has Jackie Tyler blocked, recs Charles Dickens most weeks, loves geeky academic memes and calls anons in his ask box “stupid apes”
- Captain Jack: Cannot resist clicking his mouse on every person’s username, uses his Time Agency technology to basically invent the idea of dirty tags
- Ten: Adds looooong, rambling comments to every single post, signs off nightly saying “I don’t want to go”, starts off every ask box reply with “Wellllll”, tells everyone that they’re “brilliant”, frequently reblogs blond women, rotates between a navy and brown background, has a ginger as his icon, keeps “little shops” as a tracked tag and is rather involved with the Harry Potter fandom
- Martha: Fabulous David Tennant fangirl with brilliant posts; also follows medical blogs
- Donna: Oi, she’s just on to like every post of Captain Jack’s.
- The Master: Runs FuckYeahTeletubbies, follows every Doctor blog and secretly gets excited when they post a video, hacks into the Tumblr datacenter to change every user’s icon to his face
- River: On only to hush blogs that openly share TV/movie/book spoilers without warning
- Eleven: Constantly searches for unusual meal recipes, follows every hipster blog he can find and even runs one about hats, thinks reblogs “are cool”, is baffled by Tumblr vocabulary and doesn’t use it correctly, has Marilyn Monroe as his background, frequently takes a break from typing to eat biscuits
- Amy: Has the power to type in a Scottish accent
- Rory: Is so devoted to the site that whenever there’s an error, he’ll wait forever by his computer until it’s back up
- The Weeping Angels: are the Tumbeasts, and they have the datacenter.
- Rose also was going to join Tumblr, but then she got high.